Subject: Re: First Install
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 12:59:12
You could always put the appropriate commands to modify your path in your
login file.  It's ~/.cshrc if you use csh or tcsh, or ~/.profile if you
use sh.  (And remember, ~ means your home directory, and filenames that
start with a . are by default not shown when you do a `ls' command.)

Also, the `export PATH' only applies to sh, while `setenv' only applies
to csh or tcsh.

It's obviously important to know which shell you're using.  :)

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Albert Carter wrote:

> Ok I've done this, but now here's the problem for some reason it isn't
> saving the path of /usr/X11R6/bin.  I've tried several things to do this.
> if I put in set path=($path /usr/X11R6/bin) it works find till I logout
> then it won't work.  I've tried typing in export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin
> and it comes back with the error of "No underlying variables".  so to find
> out if there needs to be any variables or options set I tried just typing
> in export and the error message "command not found" comes up.  I've done
> this from both just the user and from su.  Well X does come up great now
> but it gets tedious to type in set path=($path /usr/X11R6/bin) everytime I
> log out and log back in.
>
> X is also having problems redrawing it seems like whenever I use a man in
> one xterm window and then switch to another window the display gets all
> messed up.
>
> Oh also when I'm not working in X is there anyway of setting the background
> to be black and foreground to be white?  If there is this would be much
> easier on my eyes.  Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem in X with the
> white background and black forground, probably the full screen thing that
> causes it to be a problem.  Oh also when not in X whenever I view a man and
> then hit <space> to go to the next page it comes up so the background just
> surrounding the letters is black and the letters are white, anyway of
> fixing this.  This happens regardless of weather I'm using color or not
> before I boot unix.
>
> Thanks,
> Albert
>

> >> Actually neither one of them are in the readme.  Here's the complete readme
> >> at: ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.2/mac68k/X11/README
> >
> >Ah.  This is the README I was talking about: (found on
> >ftp.macbsd.com:/pub/NetBSD/X/README--it's rather out of date on some
> >things, but not on this kind of thing...  Search for PATH and ldconfig.)
> >
> >[ 14 March 1996 -- Updated description of ~/.xinitrc ("Tailoring your X
> >	session" section).  I hope it will provide the X and/or UN*X
> >	newbies with a good place to start customizing their own X env-
> >	ironment.
> >	Added description for AppleExtended Mouse Protocol and supported
> >	mice (though only known ones are Logitech MouseMan & TrackMan).
> >	-- kn <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>]
> >
> >[ 16 May 1995 -- Tres Hofmeister <tres@ncar.ucar.edu>
> >	Info. on shared libraries and xmodmap(1).
> >	See MORE-NOTES later in the file for these additions. ]
> >
> >[ 11 March 1995 -- new dist, substitute "X.11Mar95" for "X.122094"
> >  below.  Shared libraries exist, now, and all applications were built
> >  with them whenever possible.  Enjoy! -akb ]
> >
> >[ 22 December 1994 -- Original from
> >	Brad Grantham (grantham@netcom.com). ]
> >
> >Now available: X11R6/Mono for NetBSD/Mac68k!
> >
> >Okay.  I've been kind of ignoring it for several months, hoping I'd get
> >up enough initiative to work on color and multiple monitor support.
> [...]

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |