Subject: Re: Duo FPU?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Dave Paton <suprdave@purdue.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 15:06:24
Alan-
Thanks up front for the quick and knowledgable response!

>Do you even know what kind of hardware the dock/minidock uses for
>ethernet?  There isn't much support at all for docks in NetBSD.  There
>aren't any developers with Duos or docks.  Also, the docks look like
>they vary a lot in capabilities.  It would be really cool to have
>support for that.

I don't know a thing about the internal dock HW. When/if I get one, I'll
be more then happy to test for anyone who wants to hack on the code.

>Well, the multiple-busses isn't really a problem.  NetBSD on a PC can
>have several busses, for example.  The problem is that the mac docs
>don't talk too much about the hardware in the docks, and without the
>hardware available, testing gets to be quite burdensome rather quickly.

I see. I might be able to get dumps from Slots and/or other HW utilities
for the docks....

For what it's worth. AFAIK most of the dock hardware is almost identical.
I konw the duo floppy adaptors are the same, and I suspect teh SCSI
hardware is too.

>In fact, the esp driver (for the Quadra's NCR53c94/6 controller chip)
>can handle multiple scsi busses, but (I think) it still doesn't quite
>support the 2nd scsi bus in the Q900/950 because we don't know how the
>SCSI interrupts are handled.

Interesting. could we get the nice guy with the Dupo kernel to test this,
assuming he has a dock?

>> 1: Are serial and ethernet via docks broken for Duos?
>
>Since we don't know much, if anything about the ethernet, the answer
>is "yes", although if the ethernet is SONIC or 8390-based, support
>shouldn't be too hard.

As a hardware geek, I'd bet on whatever the 5x0 series used for it's
onboard ethernet. I think(?) it was th e8390, but don't quote me on that.

>> 2. Can the dual bus code be ported from MkLinux to one of our SCSI
>> drivers?
>
>Not directly.  Scott is working on (or has worked some on) getting the
>SBC driver to talk to two busses at once, though (internal and dock for
>one particular dock).  I don't know the status of this at all.

Ah...the 'wait and see' stage.  ;-)

Thanks for the info

-dave

suprdave@purdue.edu              http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~suprdave
unix geek, Mac junkie         Be patient, it's the student mail server
"Please explain the scientific nature of the whammy."          -Scully