Subject: Re: Duo FPU?
To: Dave Paton <suprdave@purdue.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 14:40:12
> If the serial ports are
> broken, it stands to reason that any dock/minidock ethernet will be
> broken too, right?

Do you even know what kind of hardware the dock/minidock uses for
ethernet?  There isn't much support at all for docks in NetBSD.  There
aren't any developers with Duos or docks.  Also, the docks look like
they vary a lot in capabilities.  It would be really cool to have
support for that.

> I know about the external drive problems. It seems that MkLinux has fixed
> this (I think). MkLinux runs on the AV and PM XX00 series, which (as I
> recall) has 2 SCSI busses (internal and external on my PM7600).

Well, the multiple-busses isn't really a problem.  NetBSD on a PC can
have several busses, for example.  The problem is that the mac docs
don't talk too much about the hardware in the docks, and without the
hardware available, testing gets to be quite burdensome rather quickly.
In fact, the esp driver (for the Quadra's NCR53c94/6 controller chip)
can handle multiple scsi busses, but (I think) it still doesn't quite
support the 2nd scsi bus in the Q900/950 because we don't know how the
SCSI interrupts are handled.

> 1: Are serial and ethernet via docks broken for Duos?

Since we don't know much, if anything about the ethernet, the answer
is "yes", although if the ethernet is SONIC or 8390-based, support
shouldn't be too hard.

> 2. Can the dual bus code be ported from MkLinux to one of our SCSI
> drivers?

Not directly.  Scott is working on (or has worked some on) getting the
SBC driver to talk to two busses at once, though (internal and dock for
one particular dock).  I don't know the status of this at all.

> 3. (carryover from last post) Does anyone know of a kit/source/person/etc
> that can give me an FPU on the motherboard of a Duo?

Not me.  Sorry...

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com