Subject: Re: IP Masking, monitors, et al.
To: None <dan@west.chwest.org>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1997 23:38:00
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:31:23 -0500 (EST),
Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org> wrote:

> (Or is it masquerading?  Is that something else?)
>
> Is there any way to support this in NetBSD?  Or even any Mac program I
> could use to masquerade the other NetBSD box?

I've seen nobody answer this question, so I'm venturing to do it!

What seems to be closest to what's called "IP masquerading" in the
Linux world is called NAT (Network Address Translation) in the rest of
the world, and I believe that's handled by ipfil, an IP filter which
is now a part of NetBSD-current.  Unfortunately NetBSD 1.2 doesn't do
it out of the box.  So if you're using 1.2, you have to get the
source, compile and install it.  If you're using a current snapshot,
make sure it's up-to-date enought to have ipfil.

Cheers,

Ken