Subject: configuring swap & some x strangeness
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/29/1997 21:00:36
I've succeeded with installing onto a IIci, with very little trouble.
This is nice.  But there's a couple of glitches.

It may be that my eyeballs are failing again, but i cant find
instructions to configure the swap partition in teh FAQ.

The root partition is /dev/sd1a (second drive), and i left 16mb on the
first drive for swap (an artifact of what was avaialble when).  the
"build devices" enterd /dev/sd0a rather than /sev/sd0b for the swap
partiton in fstab.  I've fixed that, but still no dice.  On boot, the
message is still that the swap device is not configured.  I recall using
mkswap on linux to prepare it, but that doesn't seem to exist in macbsd.
I'm sure that i'm missing somethign obvious . . .

And that leads to what i expect is a related problem:  i've had 3 system
crashes, one of which required untarring xbase again; an unidentified
file was calling an unknown library routine.  The other two just mildly
trashed the disk system (half dozen or so errors with fsck).  THe first
was telneted to an alpha running netscape (ok, i should have known
better :), the second to a 486 linux box running an old version of lyx
(.10.0), and third running dselect on the same linux box.  All three of
these seem to be generally ill-behaved, so i expect that they're the
culprits (and each was quite active at the time of freeze).  Prior to
hanging, the hd sounds like it's swapping its brains out, but this
shouldn't be happening without swap, should it? :)  I suspect that the
missing swap has something to do with this.

Aside from the crashes, though i've been impressed.  This 1-bit x is
noticably faster than some of the host workstations (8 bit).  The
difference in mathematica is astounding . . .

rick