Subject: Re: hfs_fs
To: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/29/1997 16:41:13
On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, David Bushong wrote:
>

> > Reading the recent news about hfs_fs support in new hfsutils release for
> > MkLinux.. looks cool.
> >
> > (news buzz for those who haven't seen it: MkLinux/hfsutils now supports
> > natively mounting hfs partitions through an lkm.. net effect:
> > mount -t hfs /dev/sd1e /mnt ; then cd to hfs and browse thru your Mac
> > disk)
> >
> My thought is, we have enough hard disk corruption problems right now.
> I remember seeing that people were having some very nasty corruption of
> their macos partitions  from this.

I had some fs corruption from hfsutils....  No problems with the lkm.
Apparently some people did, though, but only when mounting read-write.
The corruption was from two particular versions, 0.8 and 0.8.1.  I don't
think the prerelease versions had this (I'm using a pre-release version
w/o any trouble at all, with a large amount of reading and writing for a
couple of months), and the bug has been found and corrected in 0.8.2 (at
least so they say).

As I understand it, there are two porting efforts for NetBSD, though I'm
not sure who they're by (was Bill Studenmund doing one?).  One of them was
an attempt at hfs support that would not be GPL'ed, thus it could be
included in the kernel, instead of requiring an LKM.  It currently only
supports reading, and as I understand it, works quite well.  In addition,
I _think_ someone is porting the linux lkm, which would have to stay an
lkm for copyright reasons (GPL), which would support reading and writing,
but, as I said, could not be included in a kernel.

Does that basically sum it up?

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |