Subject: Re: IP Masking, monitors, et al.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Dan Jacobowitz <dan@west.chwest.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1997 22:47:32
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> >> ?? Yes. All that shorting does is fake the computer into thinking there's
> >> a certain type of monitor connected. If you later connect that type of
> >> monitor, all is well. It's not good if you try to attach a different
> >> type of monitor. :-(
> >>
> >The problem here is, what kind of monitor does it think?  I have a NEC VGA
> >connected to a VGA-Mac adapter....will this work?  And All I have to do to
> >short it out is to stick a paperclip into those two holes and turn the
> >machine on, right?
>
> Actually you are already all set.  The VGA/Mac adapter does the shorting
> for you.  Just unplug the monitor and leave the adapter in place.

Hmmm.  I would still like an answer to the question...I am _unbelievably_
broke right now.  Just bought the other Mac in my LAN (7300/200).
I truly can't afford the $20 for an adapter.

Alas for the plight of starving high school students.

Is there a chance I could modify the kernel sources to simply not check
for a monitor?  I considered leaving serial console spouting off into an
empty port, but then I discovered I needed both of my serial
ports...running PPP off the console is a recipe for disaster whenever
error messages pop up.
So I would like to make a mutilated kernel that would simply discard all
video without redirecting to serial console- a true headless kernel.
Any ideas on this or the effect of shorting the pins?