Subject: Re: Disconnects and sup...
To: Jon Lefman <jlefman@bu.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1997 21:30:36
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Jon Lefman wrote:

> >It sounds like either the modems or the other end decides to terminate the
> >link. Your pppd would (I think) say if it chose to quit.
>
> I don't know why the other end would terminate.  I hope that's not the
> case, but it is a possibility.
>
> >Oh, that's crtscts, isn't it?
>
> Yep, I misspelled it.
>
> >Try ftp'ing something TO another site.
> >

> I did try that and many times when I tried to upload, the FC (flow control)
> light on my modem who go low and ftp would continue to send for about 5
> seconds until it found that it wasn't getting a response.  Then the light
> would turn on and data was sent again.
>
> I've continued to make adjustments to my pppd options and my modem init
> string but nothing seems to keep the connection while sup is transferring.
> Sometimes the connection will stay up for five minutes until dropping, but
> it *always* drops.  I'm not sure what to do here.

This is kind of the overly obvious answer, so it's probably not the right
one, but... have you checked to make sure the cable is plugged in
completely?  I've actually had problems with a modem caused by having it
half-way plugged in, that acts much like that (just one pin or so not
connected).  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |