Subject: Re: Color X of IIsi
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1997 20:17:00
>I know that someone had said they didn't know about the color support for
>the internal card on a IIsi.  Is there anyone out there that knows for
>sure?  From the sounds of the Readme on
>ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit that is will work on any QuickDraw
>Supported card.  The internal moniter on the IIsi is an 8-bit QuickDraw
>Card from what I know of because every bit of diagnostic software I run say
>that QuickDraw is enabled and the internal monitor card runs 256 colors on
>my 13" RGB Apple Monitor just fine.  Now is my diagnostic software
>incorrect or am I reading things incorrectly.  If I am please let me know
>because I'd rather just not use X if all I can use it with is monochrome.

hello there
Michael R. Zucca is currently making color x work with the internal video
driver  on Macs, starting with the IIvx.  I think i remember him mentioning
that the IIsi has similar hardware, so adjusting it to work with IIsi's
might not be a problem.  Color X currently works for some nubus video
cards, it's just a matter of getting it to work on the internal video.  as
far as i know (which is probably not too far off), Color X actually works,
but it's a matter of getting bugs out before distributing it. Mr. Zucca
seems to be tied up in college work, too.
just be patient. :-)
In the meantime, if mono X does not suit you, you might want to install dt
(virtual console). It's fairly easy to install and use, and does not take
up much space. effectively, this program gives you 9 different consoles
(switching between them is command 1 through command 9) and it also
incorporates the mouse for copy paste. This program is not graphical at all
(i.e. still text), but it certainly is quite useful at times.
just FYI i guess :)
oh yes more mail:

> Ok in that case I have a couple more questions.  1) What are the benefits
> if any running monochrome X?  2) Is there any support for at least
> greyscale X?  3) How much would an 8-bit Nubus/PDS video card cost?

what exactly do you mean by benefits? monochrome x does what it's supposed
to do, except its black and white. color x is in color. have you installed
monochrome x and tried it out? might be something worth getting used to
while you wait for the color version.
i don't think there's support for greyscale x, because effectively, that's
not monochrome. monochrome is 1-bit, and greyscale is higher (different
shades of grey work are like different colors).
8-bit Nubus/PDS video cards are sold at inflated prices in many mail-order
magazines. the reason for the up in the price is because PCI slots are
becoming more common in computers, and Nubus is a Mac-Only bus. Apple
doesn't make any more computers with Nubus slots in them.  Waiting for the
color kernel to work with the internal video is much more worth the time
and money than to actually go out and buy another video card for this
purpose.
good luck :)
  - a