Subject: Re: Color X of IIsi
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1997 17:07:55
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Onboard video on the IIsi _does_not_work_in_color_ at this time.  It's
> being worked on, though, so perhaps in the next month or so (if we're
> lucky ;-).  However, if you have a NuBus (or PDS-slot on the IIsi, I
> guess) based video card in you IIsi that supports 8-bit color, chances
> are that it will work using Taras' color video LKM module.

Well, not quite  :(

At least one card, the E-Machines Futura-SX does not (yet) work with
Taras's video-lkm code.  But I'm working on it.

I suspect that there'll likely be problems with many _accellerated_ video
cards such as the -SX.  These cards, under MacOS, do a lot more than just
put pixels on the glass;  they also tend to intercept lots of MacOS system
calls (most of which, fortunately, NetBSD/Mac doesn't need) and they also
make a lot more calls to more esoteric portions of the Mac ROMs than
"simple" frame-buffer cards.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |