Subject: Re: First install
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/27/1997 20:04:03
At 10:37 PM 3/27/97, Albert Carter wrote:
>Hey there all,
>
>Ok, I'm really new to this and I'm going to ask a few questions just to get

>1) On the INSTALL directions it doesn't say that you need to install all
>the source files.  Do you or is this unnecessary?  If its not necessary
>what added benefits come from installing these?

Not sure you need to install *any* of the source files unless you want to
build your own kernel or change/recompile some part of NetBSD itself.

>2) Does the security files need to be installed?  I plan on setting up a
>web server/ftp server and possible have the ability for others to log into
>my computer via telnet as well sometime in the future.

AFAIK the security tarball only gets you kerberos (well maybe -lcrypt).
Don't need it for normal use.

>3) How do I find out how to set up a PPP connections I haven't seen any
>help files on this, or are they all contained in the manuals once I have
>unix up and running?

There are couple of sample setups.  If they aren't in the FAQ look through
the mailing list archives for the exact location on puma.macbsd.com.

>4) What are the limitations of NetBSD 1.2 on a Mac IIsi?

Not much (as long as you have enough memory and disk).  It's real BSD Unix.
Period.  (Is that arrogant enough?)

>5) This one I'm really not sure belongs here but I figure I'll take a stab
I don't run X, so I'll punt on this one.