Subject: Re: Duo SCSI Solution
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1997 17:33:06
>Yeah, and it's one of the more common new user mistakes, because of that.
>I personally didn't agree much with that decision....  Of course, since
>NetBSD remaps scsi IDs in order starting with 0 and working its way up,
>the problem wouldn't quite surface in that way.  The basic choices under
>NetBSD would seem to be:
>
>alternating internal and external id's (probably a bad idea, too
>confusing), e.g.
>
>0i 0e 1i 1e 2i 2e etc.
>
>or
>
>mapping the internal bus first, then the external, e.g.
>0i 1i 2i .. 7i 0e 1e 2e etc.

Well, if we wanted to pack in some extra meaning in places it doesn't belong
we could make it so that the internal drives are all LUN 0 and all the
external drives are LUN 1 so you end up with:

ID 0 LUN 0 -> Internal 0
ID 0 LUN 1 -> External 0
ID 1 LUN 0 -> Internal 1
ID 1 LUN 1 -> External 1

Why use LUNs? THe last time I saw a SCSI device with a LUN other than 0 was
way back when you could get an ADAPTEC RLL-SCSI host adapter where you'd hook
up one RLL drive as LUN 0 and another RLL drive as LUN 1. :)

This is, of course, assuming that LUNs are already handled properly.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill