Subject: Re: Duo SCSI Solution
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1997 16:08:56
> > For systems that have two SCSI busses (e.g., Power Macintosh 8100s),
> > the two SCSI ID maps are logically merged into one. Devices sharing
> > the same ID, but sitting on separate busses, are not supported. Only
> > the device on the external bus will be accessible in such a case.

As David implies, this is solving a naming problem.  It unfortunately
doesn't solve the "how to access the bus" problem which is what "we're"
up against.

BSD grabs SCSI drives in order and starts assigning them ids.  First one
bus (internal), then another bus (2nd bus/Dock/nubus/etc.).  You are limited
by the number of sd devices that you have made in /dev and by the number
representable in the device node...  If you're really curious, I'll dig
it up for you.  Before you start running up against that barrier, I
suspect that you'll be wanting to glob some of the disks together into
ccds, anyway...  ;-)

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com