Subject: Re: Consolidated Resource Page?
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1997 06:05:00
>From Colin Wood's message of 22.03.97:

[snip]

>> 1) Is there already such a page?
>
>Sort of.  There is the Meta-FAQ which is supposed to somewhat serve this
>function.  Most of the links on it tend to be the ones that are more or
>less constant.  It does need to be updated, tho (doesn't it always ;-)

The Meta-FAQ is a useful tool, and I was thinking of a site that would
supplement it.  Some of the frequently asked questions I have seen over
the short time I have been on the list have seemed to ask more "where is
something" rather than "how do I do something".  That was the need I was
thinking could be filled.

>From Mark Andres' message of 24.03.97:

>I would be happy to volunteer to maintain a set of NetBSD-mac68k related
>WWW pages.  I have been very happy with the support i have received from
>the NetBSD community and since I am not much of a programmer, I hope that
>in this way I can give something back.  I have already collected a lot of
>URLs and I could put them into some pages fairly easily.

This was pretty much the spirit in which I approached the topic.  I can't
program (yet), and I am not a Un*x guru.  My HTML skills are pretty
rudimentary, but far enough along to get at least a simple page together.

>Here are some pages I could see putting up:
>
>1) FAQs, How-To's, and other documents.

I was thinking of something sorted by topic, e.g. Ethernet, Internal
Video.  The FAQ and the How to documents cover alot of these pretty well.

>2) A list of Kernels with FTP site addresses and brief description of the
>machines that should run on the kernels.  Perhaps a reverse look-up as
>well. (I have this machine, what kernel do I need?)

Reverse look up would be a good tool, but is beyond my meager page design
capabilities.

>3) A list of FTP archives for binaries.

Yes.

>4) A list of personal homepages concerning NetBSD.

I suspect that a number of homepages actually address specific topics and
so would be covered  in a topical listing.  A list of personal homepages
would still be good idea though, because frankly, I am interested to see
what other people on this list would put on their homepages, outside of
the NetBSD specific information.

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
How large does the Internet need to get before the
planet becomes self-aware?