Subject: Re: NetBSD not working in Multi-user mode
To: Jonathan Lyons <lelsoft1@mail1.nai.net>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1997 15:05:26
On Mar 25, 14:29, Jonathan Lyons wrote:
> Subject: Re: NetBSD not working in Multi-user mode
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I'm having some trouble with NetBSD in multi-user mode, as you can tell.
> >>Booting into single user mode works fine. But when booting into multi-user
> >>mode, the last line before it stops it says something like "ttye:device not
> >>configured" Can someone help me?
> >
> >go into your macbsd installer utility and select "build devices" from the
> >file menu. this should alleviate this problem.(i think - it won't do any
> >harm, anyway.)
> >later,
> >  - a
> I did that when I installed. I can try it again....

If that doesn't help, a deascription of the meaning of that message might help
you to figure out what's going on.

That message (device not configured) indicates that the kernel you are running
doesn't have a device configured that corresponds to the major and minor
numbers of the file in question. /dev/ttye0 should be the device node for the
emulated tty on your graphics console.

The error may indicate a few different things:

a) the device node has the wrong major and/or minor numbers, and so points to a
non-existant device (fixed by remaking devices)
b) your kernel doesn't have code to handle your graphics hardware (maybe you
can't fix this one, maybe you can...)
c) your kernel is running with a serial console, but /etc/ttys is trying to
start getty on the graphics console (edit /etc/ttys and set ttye0 to off and
tty00 and/or tty01 to on)
d) something else I haven't thought of (you're on your own)

Bernard.