Subject: Re: ------======>>>>> NetBSD/mac68k Color X question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1997 14:15:53
>> Finally, the LC475 uses the DAFB controller found in the other models of
>> Quadra. I only have some information about the CLUT controller on the DAFB
>> but just having code that drives the CLUT should be enough for Color X to
>> run. You just won't be able to switch modes or resolutions yet.
>
>Does it mean that it's possible to run a kernel without serial console on
>an LC475 ? Until now I was able to boot kernels with serial console only.

That's interesting but I suppose it's explainable. Way back in August/September
there were many machines like yours that ran serial only, namely, many of
the PowerBooks. When I was doing Intvidtest0 back then, my goal was to get
more people able to use black and white. I got many of the PowerBooks, and
the Classic II going. Unfortunately, the 040's weren't working at all back
then so I didn't get a chance to play with the 475.

Adding the 475 should be fairly simple. Usually machines that can't map in
their video have a few common problems:

1. They don't like their NuBus space sized up. This can be fixed by adding the
machine to a big switch statement in the video code at the bottom of machdep.c

2. They don't like the code that goes from logical to physical. I think this
is a dead issue. These problems went away when Scott did some patching to
the kernel. At leat I think so.

3. Some machines have their mapped in an extremely odd manner and they must
have their true physical address mapped in and ignore the stuff from the
booter.

I think the 475 falls into #1 and most definately #3. I'm not really in the
"business" of adding black and white support anymore but I think that if
somebody with a 475 has some knowlege with kernel stuff they could pull this
off pretty easily.

You see, if you can't boot with a video console then the kernel can't map
in video space which means it can't toy with video memory. If you can't toy
with video memory you can't put pixels there.

So you need that ability first. However, if I can get a Sonora driver going
once you can map in video memory there should be no reason you can't have
color. The drivers I'm writing for Intvidtest2 are actually for the hardware
that changes colors in the palette and deal with video timings, etc. This
is a separate problem from mapping in the frame buffer.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill