Subject: Re: macbsd term program
To: era eriksson <reriksso@cc.helsinki.fi>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1997 09:43:23
>  >> Can you elaborate here? I read about this earlier and I'm having the
>  >> problem with tip expecting to find the link already up; tip starts,
>  >> waits for a couple of seconds and the TR light on the modem comes on,
>  >> but then it just quits and tells me "link down".

>  > The problem with elaborating is that I can't try it while I'm telnetting
>  > in via ppp. :-)
>  > I don't think I've changed anything in /etc/remote. Here are the
>  > lines which worked last time I tried (in /etc/remote):
>  > com0c|com0:dv=/dev/tty00:br#19200:
>  > Which means that both remote sites of "com0" and "com0c" use the modem
>  > port and run at 19200.

[please don't join the paragraphs together. It makes the message hard to read]

> Actually it was the "clocal" part I had trouble understanding, but I
> stumbled over it only moments after sending out my message. So here it
> is, in all its glory:
>
>     stty -f /dev/tty00 clocal
>
> I put this in /etc/rc.local so as not to have to actively remember it
> if / when I need it.

Unfortunately this will only work for a while. I'm in the process of
switching us to the M.I. z8530 driver. As part of that, we will start
behaving like most of the other ports in that each time you open a
tty for the first time, it will have its settings reset to the "default"
settings.

Adding "local" to /etc/ttys will also do this. I think.

> OK, I have now added myself to the group "dialer" and had a
> fascinating conversation with my modem. Like I wrote, it doesn't
> matter much as long as I have a working PPP, but at least it's nice to
> know that I can get it to work if the need arises.
>
> Does anybody think it would be worth the time and effort to condense
> this into a few lines in the FAQ? I can offer to try if there seems to
> be a broader interest.

It probably wouldn't hurt.

Take care,

Bill