Subject: Re: Benchmarks
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1997 12:01:42
On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Nico van Eikema Hommes wrote:

>     Hi Benoit,
>
> >I've enhanced my NetBSD-mac68k Benchmark page with some simple plots of
> >relative performance. This compares the Macs among themselves so it's not
> >some
> >esoteric Baseline. I've also added all results received until now.
>
> Looks very nice. One correction:

Thanks!

> >The results page is http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~magus/bench/benchres.html
>                                                     ^^^^^^

...and thanks again. :) I made a typo. This time, it's cut-and-paste from
my browser so it should be accurate:

Instructions are at:
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~magus/unixbench.html
Results are at:
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~magus/bench/benchres.html

And they are linked to each other too.

> And a suggestion: turn the result files into HTML format, and change the
> extension to ".html" so that the browser does not need to load a helper
> application. The simplest way to do so  is to add a line "<html> <pre>"
> at the beginning and a line "</pre> </html>" at the end (leave out the

I didn't know about this problem (I dont get a helper for txt). I'm really
a newbie at HTML stuff. I looked at Scotts' "supported hardware list"
just to learn how to make tables.

I added exactly what you said and it looks OK now. Let me know if you see
other things like that.

> quotes). I guess Perl should be able to accomplish this :-)

Perl rules! Here's JAPH of mine:

sub JAPH
{
select((s-$-($]%4?'@_=map((':'grep(($_=').'select($_),$|=1),@_)'-ee,@_)[$[+1]);
}

> Best wishes,
>
>         Nico van Eikema Hommes
>
> --
>   Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
>   hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
>   Phone:    +49-(0)9131-856532     Naegelsbachstr. 25
>   FAX:      +49-(0)9131-856566     D-91052 Erlangen, Germany

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.