Subject: Re: booting a quadra 840av
To: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1997 11:19:06
	Hi Rick!

> My major problem is finding a kernal which will boot.  I've installed the
> base12 package and have tried the following kernals which lockup on the

  ^^^^^^ you also need the etc12 package. Just base12 and a kernel won't
boot it. Don't forget to "Make Devices" from the installer after installing
etc12.

	You don't specify what version of the booter you were using either.
You need Booter 1.9.4 or later. Earlier ones won't boot most of the 68040
based machines.

> first line of the console or earlier:  netbsd12, netbsd_sbc, GENERIC-9,
> GENERIC-78, netbsd-nfs-44, WORMHOLE-69, GENERIC's 0, 5, 6, 7,
> netbsd.quadra, and for.hans (from /pub/outgoing/briggs/)...

	netbsd.quadra was the first kernel I got to work on my 840.
for.hans was a simple patch to it to disable the sound drivers, which would
crash the kernel every time a program (such as vi) tried to beep the console.
I reckon try to use for.hans initially.

	Another thing to try is to zap the PRAM on the mac. This has been
known to help some people.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"so we came up with a golden rule   |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | whatever works for you             |