Subject: Dormouse Kernel
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1997 13:07:45
Hi,

I recently tried to use the dormouse kernel (cousin of the madhatter
kernel) and I wanted to report some problems.

I have a Centris 650, 40MB of RAM, and 1.2GB Quantum HD.  I have been
running the Madhatter #37 kernel on the internal video in b/w with no
problem using the Valentine's day snapshot.  I also have a IIcx with a
Toby frame video card that runs color X nicely using the Taras kernel.

The dormouse kernel is supposed to allow color X on a quadra with a Nubus
video card.  So I thought that I would try to put the Toby Nubus video
card in the Centris, run the dormouse kernel, and see if I could get color
X.  I did all of these things and replaced the X server with the color X
server that I am using successfuly with the Taras kernel.

On bootup, the macvid() gets set to nubus() and the grf() gets set to
macvid() which I assume is what is supposed to happen.  I can botup
without any problems and the console works fine.  However, when I try to
run X, I run into a problem.  X starts up but the display on the screen is
messed up.  I get two "vibrating" horizontal lines on a black screen.  The
lines change back and forth between white and cyan ever few seconds.  If I
go in through a tty and do a ps I cna see that X and all the accompanying
processing, seem to be working fine.  I get fvwm starting up, etc.

This happens no matter whether I start up in 1-bit or 8-bit mode.  I also
tried using every color X server I could find.

It is not really a big deal to me.  Monochrome X, while not a cool as
color, is fine and I am happy running my C650.  Plus, I can wait for color
X on the internal video.  I just wanted to let people know that the
dormouse kernel plus Toby frame video card do not seem to work for color
X.

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!