Subject: Re: macbsd term program
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: era eriksson <reriksso@cc.helsinki.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1997 21:21:56
On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:51:13 -0800 (PST),
wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) wrote:
 >> > I've been able to use tip successfully. tip is in the standard
 >> > distribution. I don't think I had to change any settings. If I
 >> > did, adding clocal would be the most likely one.
 >> Can you elaborate here? I read about this earlier and I'm having the
 >> problem with tip expecting to find the link already up; tip starts,
 >> waits for a couple of seconds and the TR light on the modem comes on,
 >> but then it just quits and tells me "link down".
 > The problem with elaborating is that I can't try it while I'm telnetting
 > in via ppp. :-)
 > I don't think I've changed anything in /etc/remote. Here are the
 > lines which worked last time I tried (in /etc/remote):
 > com0c|com0:dv=/dev/tty00:br#19200:
 > Which means that both remote sites of "com0" and "com0c" use the modem
 > port and run at 19200.

Actually it was the "clocal" part I had trouble understanding, but I
stumbled over it only moments after sending out my message. So here it
is, in all its glory:

    stty -f /dev/tty00 clocal

I put this in /etc/rc.local so as not to have to actively remember it
if / when I need it.

 >> Now that I have PPP working it's not as important (just start PPP
 >> and use Telnet instead) but apparently I'm not the only one who is
 >> wondering how exactly to solve this. I've gone over the manuals
 >> several times and not found any references to "clocal" or anything
 >> else that looked very promising.
 >> Also, I get the feeling tip is to be preferred over cu but since
 >> both are available, it'd be nice if somebody could explain their
 >> relative merits and differences.
 > I don't know the difference. Our cu is actually from our tip source AFAIK.

I've noticed one difference and that's that I can get tip to work now,
whereas cu apparently won't work without a UUCP config file. Setting
that up without documentation is not going to be easy, I guess, so
from a purely newbie NetBSD-out-of-the-box standpoint, tip seems to be
the preferred choice. (Also, tip's manual page doesn't say "This
program doesn't work very well" :-)

 >> Finally, the tip I have is chmod 4510 -- is this something I've
 >> changed by accident or is it supposed to be that way? (I know I tried
 >> to fiddle with these things at one point but I believe I changed them
 >> back to the way they were, although it seems a bit puzzling to have
 >> the permissions set like this. Are users supposed to be added to the
 >> group "dialer" if they are to be allowed to use tip?)
 >> $ ls -l /usr/bin/tip
 >> -r-s--x---  1 uucp  dialer  57344 Sep  9  1996 /usr/bin/tip
 > Looks ok.

OK, I have now added myself to the group "dialer" and had a
fascinating conversation with my modem. Like I wrote, it doesn't
matter much as long as I have a working PPP, but at least it's nice to
know that I can get it to work if the need arises.

Does anybody think it would be worth the time and effort to condense
this into a few lines in the FAQ? I can offer to try if there seems to
be a broader interest.

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>