Subject: Re: booting a quadra 840av
To: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1997 12:58:41
On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Rick C. Petty wrote:
> The GEDD-203 kernal maps the AV video from internal video @ 0x50100100,
> length 0x100000, bootstraps the pmap system, moves ROBBase from 0x35efc00
> to 0x927000, and finally moves the video address to 0xb27100 and then hangs.

Hmm.... that ROMBase seems kinda strange to me; on my 660av, ROMBase is at
0x40800000 (and gets moved to 0x99f000), and I'd expect the 840av to have
ROMBase at a similar location... make sure stuff like virtual memory or
ramdoubler are off, and 32-bit addressing is on (it's always on on the
AVs, isn't it?)

Have you tried one of the GENERIC kernels from ftp.netbsd.org,
/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/, or one of the madhatter kernels from
ftp.best.com, /pub/sbrown/NetBSD/kernels? I don't think internal video
on the AV machines works with those, but they should boot.

> ... repeating the last three lines continuously.  I couldn't get any
> kernals from host4.alterity.com because I've never even seen that ftp
> server up.  I even tried http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~adrian, which was down
> as well.

host4.alterity.com is no longer around, since I've moved back home and no
longer have a neat dedicated internet connection... GEDD-203 was the
latest kernel available there though, so you're not missing much :) I've
got a GEDD-216, compiled from March 22 source, but if 203 doesn't work for
you, 216 probably won't either. Let me know if you want it and I'll email
it to you or put it up on a web site or something. (Maybe I should put 'em
up on a web site anyways, since host4 is gone now...)

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++