Subject: booting a quadra 840av
To: NetBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1997 08:46:06
I'm been unsucessfully trying to get NetBSD installed on my Quadra...
56Mb RAM, 100Mb Root & 20Mb Swap partition on internal SCSI drive.  My
first (minor) problem is trying to add an additional User partition.  I
partitioned a 200Mb User slice 2 on the same internal drive, but mkfs 1.2
won't recognize it.  The installer (1.6.4) prints out the disklabel, but:
mount /dev/sd0g /usr
fails, reporting the error:
/usr : Invalid argument

I've tried a few different mounts points, none of which work; the devices
have been built without errors.

My major problem is finding a kernal which will boot.  I've installed the
base12 package and have tried the following kernals which lockup on the
first line of the console or earlier:  netbsd12, netbsd_sbc, GENERIC-9,
GENERIC-78, netbsd-nfs-44, WORMHOLE-69, GENERIC's 0, 5, 6, 7,
netbsd.quadra, and for.hans (from /pub/outgoing/briggs/)...

The GEDD-203 kernal maps the AV video from internal video @ 0x50100100,
length 0x100000, bootstraps the pmap system, moves ROBBase from 0x35efc00
to 0x927000, and finally moves the video address to 0xb27100 and then hangs.

GENERIC-57 gets caught in an infinite loop:
don't know how to relocate video!
Stopped @ _Debugger+06: unlk a6
caught exception in ddb
db> trap type 1, code = 0, v = db6db6da
kernal: Address error trap

... repeating the last three lines continuously.  I couldn't get any
kernals from host4.alterity.com because I've never even seen that ftp
server up.  I even tried http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~adrian, which was down
as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  An idea I have is to add a column
in the "list of supported machines" on the webpage which contains the
name of the most stable kernal for that machine.  If I hadn't been paying
much attention to the mailing list the last few months, I wouldn't have
even KNOWN about these other kernels.  Maybe all the different kernals
should be available from one site-- at least until it ever gets filtered
down into one kernal.

Thanks again,

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                <h1><blink>I hate Netscape!
SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer  http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/
pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com