Subject: Re: macbsd term program
To: None <reriksso@cc.helsinki.fi>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/1997 15:51:13

> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:22:16 -0800 (PST),
> wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) wrote:
>  >> is there any kind of a term program (like zterm for mac) that i can use
>  >> with macbsd?
>  > I've been able to use tip successfully. tip is in the standard
>  > distribution. I don't think I had to change any settings. If I
>  > did, adding clocal would be the most likely one.
>
> Can you elaborate here? I read about this earlier and I'm having the
> problem with tip expecting to find the link already up; tip starts,
> waits for a couple of seconds and the TR light on the modem comes on,
> but then it just quits and tells me "link down".

The problem with elaborating is that I can't try it while I'm telnetting
in via ppp. :-)

I don't think I've changed anything in /etc/remote. Here are the
lines which worked last time I tried (in /etc/remote):

com0c|com0:dv=/dev/tty00:br#19200:

Which means that both remote sites of "com0" and "com0c" use the modem
port and run at 19200.

>   Now that I have PPP working it's not as important (just start PPP
> and use Telnet instead) but apparently I'm not the only one who is
> wondering how exactly to solve this. I've gone over the manuals
> several times and not found any references to "clocal" or anything
> else that looked very promising.
>   Also, I get the feeling tip is to be preferred over cu but since
> both are available, it'd be nice if somebody could explain their
> relative merits and differences.

I don't know the difference. Our cu is actually from our tip source AFAIK.

>   Finally, the tip I have is chmod 4510 -- is this something I've
> changed by accident or is it supposed to be that way? (I know I tried
> to fiddle with these things at one point but I believe I changed them
> back to the way they were, although it seems a bit puzzling to have
> the permissions set like this. Are users supposed to be added to the
> group "dialer" if they are to be allowed to use tip?)
>
>  $ ls -l /usr/bin/tip
>  -r-s--x---  1 uucp  dialer  57344 Sep  9  1996 /usr/bin/tip

Looks ok.

Take care,

Bill