Subject: Re: Password Authentication Protocal in Chat
To: Adam Alexander <yacko@cherokee.wildstar.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/1997 15:31:37

> Anyone have any idea how to use PAP with chat or pppd? Are there any
> scripts I can get to accomplish this task?

No. Yes. No. :-)

chat does nothing w/ PAP. pppd can use it, and you don't need special
scripts to do it.

To make PAP work, see the man pages on pppd.

The basic idea is you make a file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets which contains
the secrets for authentication. Each line has a server & client field
(who's authenticating to whom) and a secret.

The only possable changes needed to use pap are (AFAIK) you must
have the chat script end right where the PAP authentication will happen
(as pppd does it, not chat). And your options must not disalow
it. pppd will allow autentication if requested by default, so when the
other side asks, it will receive.

Take care,

Bill