Subject: Re: SONIC driver on a PowerBook 550
To: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/1997 21:02:25
> At 3:00 PM 3/21/97, Mark Routbort wrote:
>
> >However, no sn0 interface shows up with ifconfig -a:
> >
> >ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
> >ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
> >lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST>
> >        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> >sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST>
> >

> >Any thoughts on this?  Is there supposed to be more device information
> >about sn0 in dmesg (like the hardware EA?)?  I'm pretty desperate to get
> >ethernet working on this machine...
> >

> Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there must be a
> file in etc named something like hostname.sn0, for your first SONIC eth.
> driver, hostname.sn1, etc, etc. for all subsequent.  This file contains the
> options for ifconfig, such as its IP address, broadcast, netmask, etc.
> Again, PLEASE correct me if I'm mistaken.  This is from memory, and applied
> when I configged an Asante NuBus card on my IIci.

Although a hostname.sn0 file is necessary for /etc/netstart to be able to
properly configure your network, it is not necessary to be able to use
ifconfig.  Perhaps you need to MAKEDEV an sn0 device in /dev first?
(Although I could be wrong and it may just be that your kernel isn't
properly recognizing the device yet).

Later.