Subject: Re: SONIC driver on a PowerBook 550
To: Mark Routbort <routbort@neuro.duke.edu>
From: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/1997 18:57:08
At 3:00 PM 3/21/97, Mark Routbort wrote:
>Greetings -
>
>I compiled a kernel from March 20th sources with the new SONIC driver.
>This kernel works fine on my PB 550 (after putting in T. Hamada's patches).
>On boot, the onboard ethernet _seems_ to be detected:  (selected excerpt
>from dmesg)

Is this kernel available on a public ftp server somewhere?  I and quite a
few other 5X0 series owners would probably be _really_ interested in this
kernel.

>However, no sn0 interface shows up with ifconfig -a:
>
>ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
>ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
>lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST>
>        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST>
>

>Any thoughts on this?  Is there supposed to be more device information
>about sn0 in dmesg (like the hardware EA?)?  I'm pretty desperate to get
>ethernet working on this machine...

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there must be a
file in etc named something like hostname.sn0, for your first SONIC eth.
driver, hostname.sn1, etc, etc. for all subsequent.  This file contains the
options for ifconfig, such as its IP address, broadcast, netmask, etc.
Again, PLEASE correct me if I'm mistaken.  This is from memory, and applied
when I configged an Asante NuBus card on my IIci.

Hope this helps,
                Steve