Subject: Re: VI and passwd Problem
To: None <Robert_Atkinson@ascend.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/1997 09:36:14
Hi,

Are you sure that you are booting into multi-user mode?  I had the same
problems when I first started using NetBSd and found in the Booter that I
had set it to boot in single-user mode.

Mark

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 Robert_Atkinson@ascend.com wrote:

> I have run into two problems which I believe might be inter-related and
> hope
> someone might shed some light on as to what might be going wrong or what I
> am doing
> wrong.
>
> 1) I cannot change the passwd for root. Each time I do and try to login I
> get an "incorrect login"
> error (double and triple checking the password entered each time). From
> which point I have
> to replace the file in /etc. I can also not create a user, each time (using
> vipw) I get a similar
> error. I was able to add a user once using "cpin" and "cpout" but then I
> get an error that the user
> does not exist even though I do a "more" on the passwd file and can see the
> entry with all the
> required info (login, UID, etc.).
>
> 2) Anytime I try to create sample file using vi, when I try to write  file
> and quit
> I get the following message:
>
>      +=+=+=+=+=
>      tobegreen:newfile:4 lines
>      139 characters
>      Error:tobegreen:close:
>      No such file or directory
>      myname#
>
> When I do an "ls" the file, it does not exist (matter of fact no files
> appear in the directory)
> but when I reboot the file(s) then appear in the directory with the
> contents of the file
> in place.

Mark Andres                                       Head, Support Dept.
              GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/