Subject: Re: VI and passwd Problem
To: None <Robert_Atkinson@ascend.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1997 18:32:30
On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 Robert_Atkinson@ascend.com wrote:

> >MORAL: su to root and use passwd, or su to root and use vipw, you might
> >also be able to delete the binary file, (its in /etc sonewhere, probably
> >passwd.db or some such, I aint on a NetBSD machine right now) and
> >see if the system will regenerate it from the plaintext /etc/passwd after
> >a reboot.
>
> I just want to make sure I understand this correctly; if I login as root
> and then run passwd,
> change the password, this should make the proper changes? Because these are
> the steps I used
> and then was not able to login as root, I was given the "login incorrect"
> error after entering
> the password.
>
> >I have no clue about #2, I don't really even understand what is going
> >wrong, want to try to describe it in more detail?
>
> The basic issue is that I create or edit a file using vi and then when I
> try and save and exit
> vi the files doesn't exist, until I reboot. Matter of fact if I try and do
> an "ls" in the directory (before rebooting) that the
> file was created in I get nothing, even though there were other files in
> the directory. Once I reboot
> everything is displayed as it should be. I can do a "more" on the file
> (after rebooting) I just created and all the content
> is there.

Very strange, I thought that passwd worked as root, do you have NIS
running or something weird like that?  I really don't have a clus try
logining in as root and running vipw, let me know what happens.

They might be related, I just don't know.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu
My home page