Subject: VI and passwd Problem
To: None <port-mac68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Robert_Atkinson@ascend.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1997 09:30:01
I have run into two problems which I believe might be inter-related and
hope
someone might shed some light on as to what might be going wrong or what I
am doing
wrong.

1) I cannot change the passwd for root. Each time I do and try to login I
get an "incorrect login"
error (double and triple checking the password entered each time). From
which point I have
to replace the file in /etc. I can also not create a user, each time (using
vipw) I get a similar
error. I was able to add a user once using "cpin" and "cpout" but then I
get an error that the user
does not exist even though I do a "more" on the passwd file and can see the
entry with all the
required info (login, UID, etc.).

2) Anytime I try to create sample file using vi, when I try to write  file
and quit
I get the following message:

     +=+=+=+=+=
     tobegreen:newfile:4 lines
     139 characters
     Error:tobegreen:close:
     No such file or directory
     myname#

When I do an "ls" the file, it does not exist (matter of fact no files
appear in the directory)
but when I reboot the file(s) then appear in the directory with the
contents of the file
in place.

My environment is:
Quadra 700 extensions off (OS 7.5.5)
20MB RAM
One internal HD, 2 External HDs
External HD (160 MB)  on SCSI ID 1 is formated and partioned with a
root/usr partition
NetBSD 1.2c

Any thoughts, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Atkinson
ratkinson@ascend.com
http://www.ascend.com