Subject: Re: NetBSD, X and MLVWM
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Macintosh Guru <gevans@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1997 08:10:55
On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Nico van Eikema Hommes wrote:

Well, In typical fashion the problem was keyboard to chair.  I had
forgotten to start x first....Silly me.....dang I hate being a newbie

]Thanks for the help

>        Hi Greg,
>
> >Figuring what the heck, I downloaded both mlvwm-0.7.0 and mlvwm-current
> >from the web page.  I read the README and followed the instructions as
> >follows:
> >xmkmf -a;
> >make
> >Everything went FANTASTICALY! (spelling??)
> >Anyway I then change directories into where the mlvwm binary was
> >(/mlvwm-0.7.0/mlvwm/) and typed ./mlvwm
> >I got the message as follows:
> >Can't open display
> >I was needless to say disappointed. :(  Not that I was really expecting it
> >to work, but I was hopeful that it would.  I am currently successfully
> >running the 1.2 dist with the madhatter#37 kernel in 800x600 mode with
> >xserver12, xcomp12, and xbase12.  I am using AfterStep 1.0pre5 for my
> >Window Manager without problems.  Anyone else decide to give this a try?
>
> mlvwm is a "window manager" like twm, fvwm, AfterStep, etc. So it should be
> started once the X server is running. To use it (did you change all the
> private pathnames in the config file and the makefile to what you have on
> your machine? If not, do so and recompile. Also, don't forget to install
> all the icons), start X as usual, then quit AfterStep without shutting down
> X itself. This leaves you with just the window contents on the screen. In
> the console window, type the command "mlvwm &" and mlvwm should come up.
>
> Of course, you can edit your .xinitrc, but I think it is a bit early for
> that.
>
> Best wishes,
>
>         Nico van Eikema Hommes
>
> --
>   Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
>   hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg
>   Phone:    +49-(0)9131-856532     Naegelsbachstr. 25
>   FAX:      +49-(0)9131-856566     D-91052 Erlangen, Germany

-Greg Evans (macintosh-guru@televar.com)

<obligatory.signature>

  The Box said Win '95 or better - So I used a Macintosh!
			-Harold Herbert Tessman

   The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
   armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological
   chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling
   second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
			-Douglas Adams, on Windows '95

</obligatory.signature>