Subject: Re: NetBSD, X and MLVWM
To: Macintosh Guru <gevans@televar.com>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1997 11:15:15
       Hi Greg,

>Figuring what the heck, I downloaded both mlvwm-0.7.0 and mlvwm-current
>from the web page.  I read the README and followed the instructions as
>follows:
>xmkmf -a;
>make
>Everything went FANTASTICALY! (spelling??)
>Anyway I then change directories into where the mlvwm binary was
>(/mlvwm-0.7.0/mlvwm/) and typed ./mlvwm
>I got the message as follows:
>Can't open display
>I was needless to say disappointed. :(  Not that I was really expecting it
>to work, but I was hopeful that it would.  I am currently successfully
>running the 1.2 dist with the madhatter#37 kernel in 800x600 mode with
>xserver12, xcomp12, and xbase12.  I am using AfterStep 1.0pre5 for my
>Window Manager without problems.  Anyone else decide to give this a try?

mlvwm is a "window manager" like twm, fvwm, AfterStep, etc. So it should be
started once the X server is running. To use it (did you change all the
private pathnames in the config file and the makefile to what you have on
your machine? If not, do so and recompile. Also, don't forget to install
all the icons), start X as usual, then quit AfterStep without shutting down
X itself. This leaves you with just the window contents on the screen. In
the console window, type the command "mlvwm &" and mlvwm should come up.

Of course, you can edit your .xinitrc, but I think it is a bit early for
that.

Best wishes,

        Nico van Eikema Hommes

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg