Subject: Re: NetBSD, X and MLVWM
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1997 08:17:54
  Hi All,

>On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Joel Klecker wrote:
>> Has anyone ever tried to compile MLVWM(Macintosh-like Virtual Window
>> Manager) under NetBSD? More info(and a screenshot) is at
>> <URL:http://www.bioele.nuee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/member/tak/mlvwm.html>.
> to which Mark Andres replied:
>I did not try MLVWM under NetBSD, but I did try it on my Sun at work.  I
>soon switched back to my trusty FVWM2.  It is not as flexible and
>configurable as FVWM.  I am sure if you spend time with it, you could make
>a usable window manager out of it, but I am already comfortable with FVWM.
>E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/

I've tried it both on a PowerMac at work, under MkLinux, as under MacBSD
1.2 on my Quadra 650: it compiles without difficulties and works quite
well (although not yet bug free; zooming and resizing windows helps), but
it definitely is not finished. The author made an early version (0.70)
and a "current" version available to show what he is working on and to
give an idea of what we can expect. It is not yet a replacement for fvwn,
but likely to become one. Of course, feedback and suggestions will help
improve it.
To install the package: make sure to set all pathnames correctly in the
config and Makefile. Also, you need the fvwm mini icons as well as the
special icons from the web page.

Best wishes,

       Nico van Eikema Hommes

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg