Subject: NetBSD vs. OpenBSD?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan G. Raymond <xray@cs.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1997 16:30:54
>From <http://www.openbsd.org/mac68k.html>:

History and Status:

The mac68k port of OpenBSD runs on the same machines as the NetBSD port,
but it is quite different in several respects. Only a small percentage of
the full system lies within the machine-dependent section.

There is a list of changes in the machine-independent portions of the
system. Check it out.

mac68k-specific changes

     Handle video interrupts on Q700 and 2-page display card.
     Integrate work from John Wittkoski and Takashi Hamada for direct-access ADB
     support. Should make ADB work on many, many machines.

For more information, contact Gene or Allen.

So what's the deal?
I just toasted my install of NetBSD so I could re-partition (word of
warning: if you like long start ups, be sure to format a drive with UNIX
partitions only, so the Mac will repeatedly waste time in desperate search
of a Mac partition).  So would I gain any advantages if I go with OpenBSD?
So far the big attraction to NetBSD for me has been the availability of
68k pre-compiled binaries, which has been excellent (if you inlcude the
Amiga archives).  It's been a big time saver.

Can OpenBSD give me anything NetBSD doesn't have on my Mac II?

--
Nathan Raymond
xray@cs.brandeis.edu