Subject: Re: Powerbook 500 serial ports...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1997 11:17:10
Allen Briggs writes:
>I think that the powerbook serial has to be enabled.  Have you checked
>the booter options to enable the serial ports?  I haven't looked at
>those lately...  I'm actually going to be dinking with my PB145 tonight.
>I'll see if I can get it working with serial, too.

I did try enabling the powerbook's serial port in the Serial dialog box.
What I discovered is that the ppp-up doesn't actually hang the machine.
What it does is make the ppp script uninterruptable, so ^C or ^D or ^Z do
not stop it.  But if you're patient and wait for about 3-5 minutes, the ppp
script will give up, and will return the prompt after you press return.

>I don't think that it uses a different serial chip.

The 500 series use a custom Apple chip, named Combo, that incorporates the
functionality of the 53C80 SCSI controller and the 85C30 SCC.

Steve