Subject: Re: Powerbook 500 serial ports...
To: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1997 06:20:46
Hmmm.  I'm not sure if the Powerbooks even use the same chipset (ZS8350)
as the other Macs.  I _think_ that our serial driver is pretty specific
about supporting that chipset only.  If the PBs use a different chip, then
I'd be willing to wager that you're probably out of luck WRT the serial
ports.

Maybe Bill Studenmund can clarify this for us?

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Steven Campbell wrote:

> Whenever I try to access the Powerbook's serial port, the machine will
> freeze.  I have tried both Paul Goyette's PPP scripts, and just trying to
> send raw text to /dev/tty00 and tty01.  I believe that in the 500 series
> anyways, if you don't have an internal modem, both serial ports get mapped
> to the single serial port.  Or am I mistaken? Nothing ever gets sent to the
> modem port, and the machine dies in attempting to set up the port (opening
> the serial driver?)
> Also, ttyflags -a in /etc/rc freezes the machine.  In order to boot
> multiuser, I must comment this out.  Is there a problem with 500 series
> support, or is there some basic setup I'm missing?
>
> Thanks,
>       Steve

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |