Subject: New SONIC driver
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/16/1997 22:00:33
> Although the OpenBSD kernel with the SONIC driver freexes when the
> connection is configured, does this one do the same???

No.  This one actually is more than just a place-holder.  The source
originated from the OpenBSD pica driver, but Dennis Gentry and Takeshi
Yanagisawa have done a lot of work to get it working on their systems.
I've integrated their work and run the driver a bit on my Q700, too.  It
should work for internal ethernet and SONIC-based nubus cards, although
only the Dayna/Gatorcard is currently recognized.

I have noticed a problem or two since committing the driver, so if you
can compile and run kernels, please feel free to help isolate and fix
the problems.  It is, BTW, stable enough for me to do some work on the
system (boot and run an X Terminal).  The recent problem that I noticed
was when I tried to Fetch a file to the system, it just hung and I had
to configure down that network interface and reconfigure ae0 on that
machine.  I.e., it didn't crash the system--just made the network unusable.
I haven't tried to reproduce this yet...  ;-)

Cheers,
-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com