Subject: Re: macbsd term program
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <reriksso@cc.helsinki.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/16/1997 14:57:00
On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:22:16 -0800 (PST),
wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) wrote:
 >> is there any kind of a term program (like zterm for mac) that i can use
 >> with macbsd?
 > I've been able to use tip successfully. tip is in the standard
 > distribution. I don't think I had to change any settings. If I
 > did, adding clocal would be the most likely one.

Can you elaborate here? I read about this earlier and I'm having the
problem with tip expecting to find the link already up; tip starts,
waits for a couple of seconds and the TR light on the modem comes on,
but then it just quits and tells me "link down".
  Now that I have PPP working it's not as important (just start PPP
and use Telnet instead) but apparently I'm not the only one who is
wondering how exactly to solve this. I've gone over the manuals
several times and not found any references to "clocal" or anything
else that looked very promising.
  Also, I get the feeling tip is to be preferred over cu but since
both are available, it'd be nice if somebody could explain their
relative merits and differences.
  Finally, the tip I have is chmod 4510 -- is this something I've
changed by accident or is it supposed to be that way? (I know I tried
to fiddle with these things at one point but I believe I changed them
back to the way they were, although it seems a bit puzzling to have
the permissions set like this. Are users supposed to be added to the
group "dialer" if they are to be allowed to use tip?)

 $ ls -l /usr/bin/tip
 -r-s--x---  1 uucp  dialer  57344 Sep  9  1996 /usr/bin/tip

Thanks in advance,

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>