Subject: Re: IIci X Window problems
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1997 15:39:51
Sounds to me like one (or more) images or libraries is corrupted.  The
error messages you reported make it appear that it cannot find certain
critical items (like, the code to manipulate a scroll-bar widget).  Try
down-loading it again.

On 14 Mar 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> I am trying to run X on a IIci, but I have yet to get it to work.  I
> re-directed the standard error output to a file "x.errfile" when I tried
> to start X with the command:
>
> ~-->startx 2>~/x.errfile
>
> X begins to start, and the screen blanks to white.  Then a textured
> screen appears with a cursor in the center in the shape of an X.  This
> lasts for several seconds, and then I get a completely white screen with
> my system prompt "~-->" at the bottom.  The file x.errfile reads:
>
> Screen 0 at 0x41ad000, 640 by 480, rowB, fbbase 0xbf5000.
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol
> "_scrollbarWidgetClass" in xterm:xterm
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_scrollbarWidgetClass" in
> xterm:xterm
>
> Undefined symbol "_scrollbarWidgetClass" in xterm:xterm
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "^LK\xfb\xd8" in
> xclock:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6.1
>
> ^M
> waiting for X server to shut down
> ^M
>
> I checked /dev and grf0 and grf1 exist.  I also did a dmesg, and there
> are lines that read:
>
> intvid0 at obio0: Internal Video
> intvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome               (I changed to one-bit color
> before boot)
> grf0 at intvid0
>
> I have the recommended ldconfig line in /etc/rc.local and the if
> statement from FAQ para. 9.4 in my /etc/rc.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> TIA,
>
> Sean.
>

> T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
> 71410.25@compuserve.com
> TSSchulze@aol.com
> theodore.schulze@metronet.de
>
> Hope is not a course of action.  (But prayer is a combat multiplier.)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |