Subject: Re: "smart" ppp scripts?
To: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1997 15:37:40
Both of the kits on ftp.macbsd.com (one in /private/wrstuden, the other in
/private/pgoyette) detect BUSY using the ABORT command within the chat
script.  And both connect scripts detect the failure of chat and try the
next number in the dial-list in a round-robin fashion.

As for your pppd not noticing when the connection is dropped, both kits
mentioned above used (last time I looked) lpc echo's to detect a dead
remote peer.

Try them!

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, synapse wrote:

> Hi
> i run pppd on my IIvx using a very general script that i put together myself.
> i was wondering if the ppp scripts on the macbsd.com server were "smart"
> and redialed when disconnected (by remote connection, or modem shut off,
> something like that), and redialed when there was a busy signal,
> continuously.
> right now my pppd runs and runs even though it's disconnected, as if it
> doesn't notice at all (probably doesn't) and i have nothing in my script
> for a busy signal :)
> i skimmed through the scripts but could not find "BUSY" somewhere so i
> thought it wasn't incorporated...or am i wrong? if not, will this ever be
> incorporated into the script?
> I'm asking for these options instead of actually figuring it out, if it
> even exists, because my setup works now,, and if it ain't broke don't fix
> it :)
> thanks a lot :)
>   - a

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |