Subject: ncr and sbc
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1997 12:15:14
Good morning,

I used to try and get my system working before sbc kernels and had some
nightmares back then so when I got the following error, I got real scared
thinking of all the corrupted fs and reinstalls I whent through...

sbc0: parity error!
sbc0: parity error!
sbc0: parity error!
ncr538_machine: unexpected disconnect.
sbc0: parity error!

I am running 1.2C (March01) and the only difference with GENERIC in my
config is I commented out "option M68040" (I have a IIvx). I also
commented out ncrscsi and uncomented sbc. Using this kernel I was able to
recompile the whole distribution with no errors and under casual use it
was going well.

The problem occured when my disk was crunching a lot for the first time.
I had a compile running, some ftp and a huge "rm -rf" in the background.
When I got the error msg, I stopped everything, rebooted in Single User
and ran fsck but nothing showed up. I haven't yet found anything wrong
with my system.

Have people been playing with the sbc driver lately? I remember talk
about video and scsi interrupts conflicting not long ago too.

Any help appreciated.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.