Subject: Re: Motorola and the broken 68LC040
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1997 02:04:36
On 03/13/1997 at 8:37 PM -0800, you wrote:

> So basically, for NetBSD to EVER run on an 040LC, we have to either compile
> the silly thing with soft-float (sp?) or stick NOP's in front of all of
> the floating point instructions?

Well... This isn't the ideal programmatic approach, but I'd be in favour of
the soft-float compile, with a notice about which versions of the chip are
supported and which aren't. The SoftwareFPU documentation lists the number,
making it an easy determination.

On the other hand, supporting all 68LC040s is the ultimate goal... I'd
think that the best solution (for now) would be to allow for either option
when compiling. I don't know how difficult this would be to implement,
however.

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();