Subject: More on SCSI Error #5
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1997 11:09:51
Thanks to everyone for the input.  I have tried increasing the memory
allotment for the Installer to 25MB, but I still get the problem when
installing the "base" file from the latest -current snapshot up on
ftp.netbsd.org.  The interesting thing is that it always bombs out at the
same point.  It dies trying to install the /usr/share/man/atari directory.

I am beginning to suspect a bad binary file.  Just for fun, I am in the
middle of installing the xbase file to see if the problems relate to file
size.

Also, from the e-mail I received, it seems that this error pops up a lot
on C650s and Q700s.  I ran across this while looking for possibilities on
Apple Techncial Info web area.  I am not up on SCSI hardware enough to
know if it could be related or not.

 *****
Article Created: 16 April 1993
Article Reviewed/Updated: 28 July 1994

TOPIC

How different is the SCSI implementation on the
Centris 650, as opposed to the Macintosh IIci?
Are there any inconsistencies that could lead
to bus errors?

The information in this article relative to the
Centris 650 is also relevant to the Quadra 650.

RESPONSE

The major differences between the SCSI
implementation on a Macintosh IIci and a
Centris 650 are: the Centris 650 utilizes a
different SCSI controller (same as the Quadra
700), and uses an active SCSI termination
scheme which is automatically enabled depending
on the state of the SCSI bus termination.

Though the SCSI controller is different, the
Centris 650 utilizes the same SCSI Toolbox
routines as the Macintosh IIci, so its SCSI
implementation is backward compatible.

Article Change History:
28 Jul 1994 - Added reference to Quadra 650 to
aid in searching.

Support Information Services

Copyright 1993-94, Apple Computer, Inc.
*****

Mark Andres                                       Head, Support Dept.
              GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/