Subject: Re: HEY!!! Q700 with internal video in 832x624 !
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1997 21:55:02
> Here's another question about consoles....  lkm's can replace existing
> support code, right?  With the right hooks, that is?  Would it be possible
> to create an lkm containing dt to replace the default console driver?

It would probably be possible.  I think that dt-like functionality once
existed in the kernel under MacBSD (like pre-0.9 or so), so I suppose it
would be possible to move it into an lkm (just don't ask me to do it ;-)

> Of course, this still leaves the obvious questions, namely how would X
> take over the console (or better yet, take over a single virtual console),
> and how to require a password on the console in multi-user mode.

I wouldn't know how to do the first (ask linux ;-) ), but the second is
already an option in dt.  You can just compile dt so that it runs login
instead of a shell on startup.

Later.