Subject: Re: HEY!!! Q700 with internal video in 832x624 !
To: Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1997 19:03:34
On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Jonathan Lennox wrote:

> I seem remember noticing some comment about a bug fix to this effect in
> Mklinux a few revisions back.  Did they use NetBSD's console driver?  And if
> so, can we back-port their bug fixes?

As a matter of fact, I believe that originally, they did use parts of
NetBSD's console driver, though I'm not sure what parts.  If I remember
correctly, though, they completely rewrote it from scratch fairly early in
DR1's lifespan.  Depending on how good the internal video support is for
the AV Quadras (same video stuff, I think), it still might be helpful.  In
any case, some of the rewrites could be helpful in speeding up the NetBSD
console driver.

Here's another question about consoles....  lkm's can replace existing
support code, right?  With the right hooks, that is?  Would it be possible
to create an lkm containing dt to replace the default console driver?

Of course, this still leaves the obvious questions, namely how would X
take over the console (or better yet, take over a single virtual console),
and how to require a password on the console in multi-user mode.

Thoughts?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |