Subject: Re: HEY!!! Q700 with internal video in 832x624 !
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1997 19:47:01
On Fri, March 14 1997, "Masami and Ken Nakata" wrote to "eweri@uni-paderborn.de, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG" saying:

> > But one bug is still left:
> > If NetBSD starts with the bigger resolution, a few lines on the bottom
> > of the screen are left with the desktop pattern of the MacOS desktop.
> > They will be overwritten when I start X.
> > I think this has something to do with VRAM that is not initalized
> > during the boot process. So the memory size for the video is bigger
> > than the memory that is allocated for video by NetBSD, right ?
>
> I'd guess that's because the console driver doesn't bother to
> initialize the few scan lines at the bottom which it could not use to
> display characters?  I agree with you that it could be *cosmetically*
> more pleasing if it cleared them out, I don't believe it has any
> effect *functionally* what so ever.

I've noticed that on my machine in 1024x768 also, but since I can't get it
to even recognize the ADB, I've never bothered with these more cosmetic
issues.

I seem remember noticing some comment about a bug fix to this effect in
Mklinux a few revisions back.  Did they use NetBSD's console driver?  And if
so, can we back-port their bug fixes?

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox@cs.columbia.edu