Subject: SCSI Error #5 Raises its ugly head
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1997 17:46:44
I am now to the point where I am trying to install NetBSD current
snapshots onto a 1.2GB Quantum HD inside of a Centris 650.  When I try to
install the base or the misc, I get a problem about 80% of the way
through.

Error SCSI Read() #5

Note that this is not like the bug wher it appears on start-up.  This
happens after the install starts and runs for some time.  I managed to
install the "smaller" files like man and etc.  Also, it crashes at the
same point even if I format again and run the install.  I have tried it
using Installer 1.1, 1.1a, 1.1b, 1.1c, and 1.1d, all with the same result.

I have run my HD (which is new) through the full tests in Silverlining
(took 2 hours) and it found no problems.  There is only one disk
(internal) and it is terminated.

Is the HD toast?  Anyone else seen this?  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mark Andres                                       Head, Support Dept.
              GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/