Subject: Re: bad myname/hostname values
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 23:47:32
On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I have:
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.stanford.edu pokey pokey.stanford.edu
>
> which works with my dynamic IP address. I just can't really send or
> receive mail (send as I'd have to fake the header so the mail replies
> went to a permanent address, and can't receive as my sendmail isn't
> configured to be something other than pokey, 127.0.0.1).

I have my /etc/hosts set up like this and ppp set to use defaultroute.
When I ping localhost it initially sends a few packets over PPP and
then uses the internal loopback (?) interface.  When I ping stevec (my
hostname) and PPP is up it sends all the ping packets over the modem and
back again.

I don't think I had this problem before when I ran routed
but routed core dumps now when pppd starts and gives the errors:

Mar 12 23:41:23 stevec routed[431]: lo0 has no address
Mar 12 23:41:23 stevec routed[431]: ifinit: out of sync

Also when inetd first starts I get:
Mar 12 14:43:36 stevec inetd[98]: pmap_set: 100001 1 17 1034: Address already in use

I've been having these problems now for a couple months and have tried different
kernels and snapshots.  Has anyone else seen these errors or is it just my
(mis)configuration?

--
Steve Carlson
stevec@accessone.com