Subject: Re[2]: Help - Mkfs fails with 1024 byte hw sectors!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kyle McKay <Kyle_McKay@intuit.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 17:55:46
--IMA.Boundary.414812858

>>I have a hard disk with lots of mac data on it.  I was trying to add some
>>un*x
>>partitions.  However, the actual block size (reported by Hard Disk
>>Toolkit) is
>>1024 bytes, NOT 512 bytes.
>>
>>If I leave mkfs 1.2 at the default settings, it ends up reporting the
>>partition
>>is have the size that it really is when it's finished.
>>
>I think that's because the code is using sectorsize rather than
>bytes/sector to calcualte what it thinks the size of the partiton is.
>
>>If I change Bytes/Sector (Hardware) to 1024, it makes no difference.  If I
>>change Sector Size to 1024, then it crashes with a divide by zero error
>>when I
>>hit the format button.
>>
>Changing Byte/Sector (Hardware) to 1024 is probably the right thing to
>do. Changing the Sector Size isn't, since that's really the "logical"
>size not the physical size. The divide by zero is probably due to integer
>division where 512/1024 = 0.
>
>>Tell me the truth.  Do I have to reformat the whole hard disk back to 512
>>byte
>>blocks to use it with Mkfs/NetBSD?  (Hoping not...)
>
>I don't think so. Have you tried just using the partition after it was
>mkfs formatted with a Bytes/Sector (Hardware) size set to 1024?
>
>-bob

Installer 1.1d crashes on startup when it attempts to mount the / partition.  No
matter what I do.  I'm thinking the file system code is not compatible with
 > 512 bytes per block when it's talking to the SCSI manager.

Kyle
--IMA.Boundary.414812858

  (IMA Internet Exchange 2.1 Enterprise) id 0010A224; Wed, 12 Mar 97 17:45:48
-0800
	id xma004164; Wed, 12 Mar 97 17:29:46 -0800
id AA16459
  (5.67a/IDA1.5hp for <Kyle_McKay@intuit.com>); Wed, 12 Mar 1997 19:39:17 -0600