Subject: Re: Printing to a PostScript printer
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 17:48:36
At 4:35 PM 3/12/97, Bill Studenmund wrote:

>> On the same LAN, I've got bunches of PostScript printers. Can I get
>> NetBSD's line printer system to print to the PostScript printers? If so,
>> where can I find the information on how to do this?
>
>Yes. The question is how.
>
>What kind of printers are they? If they are for-unix printers, just
>tell NetBSD it has a remote queue at the printer's IP address.

Virtually all newer Apple and HP printers support Berkely lpr protocol.
Just add a /etc/printcap entry and you're done.

If the feature is not currently used you may need to give the printer an IP
address first.  Get the address from the local Net Gods.

I can't give you a complete step-by-step, but for Apple printers use the
Apple Printer Utility under MacOS to tell the printer its IP address.

For HP printers they all start with an address of 192.0.0.192.  On *BSD
install a specific host route that says that address is on the local
ethernet (man route if you're confused);  also get the Ethernet address and
install an arp entry for it (man arp if you're confused).  The latter is
necessary because there are probably several HP printers on the net, not
just one, and you want to know which one you are changing.  Anyway once you
do that telnet to the printer and change all the IP parameters to what they
should be.  Remove the bogus route and arp entries, add /etc/printcap
entries for the text and raw queues and you're done.

BTW the banner page option in printcap is ignored by HP printers.  Use the
banner option in the telnet session to control banner page printout.